Saturday 1 November 2008

REASONS TO BUY VOGUE


I think I was lucky today my local shop had the December issue of Vogue, on 1st November! Unheard of. I have recently found my attention to British Vogue wavering, but with the Fantastic Fashion Fantasy issue I am a firm fan once again (now say that 3 times quickly!).

Reason to buy the December issue:

1. A truly enchanting shoot by Tim Walker featuring Tim Burton and Helena Bonham-Carter amongst others, which captures the world of storybook imagination amazingly. The shots of Karen Elson are especially beautiful (in bed with a crocodile and on stilts as The BFG) but I think my favourite is of Georgia May Jagger inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.



2. Beautiful beautiful artwork by Su Blackwell, who creates sculptures from the pages of old books (and is exhibiting in London at the end of the month).

3. Jourdan Dunn and Lily Donaldson photographed by Nick Knight in some of fashion's most extravagant and avant-garde creations, including Chalayan's wooden table skirt (which reminds me, I am very much looking forward to the exhibition next year!).



4. "Dream Walls" of likes, loves and doodles created by a selection of designers especially for Vogue. I adore Luella's. "I like Wednesday Adams' plaits". I want to make my own.

5. The pull out cover features Kate Moss looking beautiful in Dior Couture. (I am going to ignore the "Fashion is my passion" quote ie the most overused phrase in the fashion industry and one you are told to avoid like the plague in personal statements, interviews etc. Especially now it has been coined by the Bratz dolls. Vogue you could have done better than that).
The real draw of the cover for me is the beautiful typefaces designed by Jo Ratcliffe which feature throughout the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment