Sunday 19 October 2008

MUM'S WARDROBE

A year ago my parents moved house and it was time for my Mum to finally face the suitcases of clothes she had been storing in the loft for a "rainy day". My sister got a cream cable knit jumper dress, but I only had eyes for this oversized checked flannel shirt. Rumour has it my Mum wore this while she was pregnant. A suspect paint splatter on the left sleeve also suggests that before relegation to the suitcase in the loft, this particular garment belonged with other old clothes only suitable for doing the decorating in.
My Mum came to visit me in my flat not so long ago and when I opened the door to her wearing the shirt, she burst out laughing. However, with a softness that can only be created by dozens of wears and washes and a traceable history that only comes with hand-me-downs, it still remains one of my favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment